Ivano-Frankivsk (1989 pop. 215,000), is the capital of Ivano-Frankivsk region, West Ukraine, on the Bystrytsia River. It is a rail junction and industrial center situated in a fertile agricultural zone of the Carpathian foothills. The city has diverse light industries such as woodworking, machinery and furniture making, and food processing. An old Ukrainian settlement, Stanislav was chartered in 1662 as the Polish town of Stanis & lstrok.
Despite Tatar and Turkish raids, it flourished as a trade center in the 17th and 18th cent. It became the bishopric of the Ukrainian Catholic Uniate Church in 1850. It passed to Austria in 1772 and to Poland in 1919 and was incorporated into Ukraine in 1939. The city and oblast were renamed in 1962 in honor of the Ukrainian poet and writer Ivan Franko. Landmarks include a wooden church (1601), a Catholic Uniate cathedral, and an 18th-century palace.
The following are further links related to Ivano-Frankivsk:
Ivano-Frankivsk Facts and Figures
Wikipedia entry on Ivano-Frankivsk
Official city site (Ukrainian)
Official Oblast site (Ukrainian)
For more information about our developing relationship with Ivano-Frankivsk please contact the Click here to contact the President of the Ivano-Frankivsk Committee